Monday, July 2, 2012

THE DOWNSIDES CONTINUE...

When are they going to end!

My most recent debacle came on Saturday... three days ago.

I was showing one of the nurses at dialysis how to operate my new chair and ended by giving him a demonstration of how fast it can go as I left the ward on level 2. I continued on my rapid journey to the lift, the doors of which were about to close, so I shot in there at a rate of knots and, unfortunately, couldn’t slow down in time and my momentum carried me full pelt into the wall on the opposite side of the lift. Both my knees bore the impact!

The pain was excruciating to say the least (I almost said ‘damn’), so I sat there with tears of agony running down my cheeks until the pain abated long enough for me to hit the ground floor button to take me outside to my waiting taxi. A very bumpy ride home followed, adding to my misery, and by the time my carer arrived to put me to bed I had also developed an extremely painful stomach upset which had to be taken care of before I could retire for the night.

One severely bruised right knee and one very swollen left knee is the result, both extremely painful to move, but at least I CAN move them, so there doesn't appear to be any broken bones. The pain still hits when I go over any bumps and my legs have any sudden, unexpected movement or when I am lifted by my overhead hoist from my chair to bed – and back. My carers have to be support workers in the literal sense at this point and take any weight off my legs when I transfer.
Hopefully this is the end of my run of bad luck for a while.

The moral of this story for me is “Don’t show my new chair off to anyone until I have learned how to control its speed”!

2 comments:

JoyG said...

Sorry to hear of your latest incident, "the elevator slam." Having crappy knees myself, I know the pain you've been in. Both my knees have had serious injuries over the years, and three surgeries later, I still have limited range of motion, swelling, fluid retention, and of course, PAIN !!! I'm glad your carers are able to give you the support you need when transfering, to help minimise the pain, but it must still be an awful ordeal. I had great strength in my legs and back when I was young, but now it's difficult getting into and out of the car, the bed, lounge chairs... etc etc. So, although I love the idea of accompanying you on an overseas (NZ) adventure, I wouldn't be of much use to you as a carer. I'd be leaning on you for support!
Hope you're recovering well, and that the swelling is diminishing.
You have such an amazing strength of spirit that you always seem to be able to overcome the physical weaknesses. I only wish I had your strength.. Huggs to you, my friend. JoyG

Hank Wheelie said...

Hi Mate, yes new motorised chairs can take a bit of getting used to. I am actually surprised that you have had the same one for so long! I had a couple of scooters first. then decided to get a motorised wheelchair to make it easier to get on and off buses, and maxis.
See you in a couple of weeks?
Keep well,
Hank.